Mernda Mechanics InstituteOnline Images - 2000
The Mernda Mechanics Institute was built at the rear of the Old Bridge Hotel. It was planned and built by W. Baird. The foundation stone was laid on 12 September 1888 by Robert Harper MLA. It was built from bluestone which was carted from Melbourne by local resident W. G. Cockerell. Walter Thomas was the first librarian and trustee of the Mernda Mechanics Institute and Free Library. The Whittlesea Shire Council held council meetings there from 1915, until 1939.
Publisher: ca. 2000.
Characteristics: 2 photographs: col.; 21.5 x 15 cm.