Commemorative Plaque Greensborough Pioneer Grave Site
In 1854 a family of settlers arrived in Melbourne after the long sea voyage from the United Kingdom. They travelled immediately to Greensborough to take up work at the local orchardist who provided them with a house on a hill side overlooking the Plenty River. One night an infant died and was subsequently buried outside the house. More members of the Whatmough and Partington families are buried on the on the hillside and clumps of jonquils mark the spot each Spring. The house became a weekend guest house in the 1920s and is now gone. The back yards of new houses are above these graves, which also lie along the Plenty River walking track. The site was identified by the Rotary Club of Greensborough in 1985 as being of historical significance and a plaque was erected.